[Amc-list] T-96 transmission assembled

Monday, Finally! All assembled. Took about 10 hours, first
transmission I ever rebuilt. Would I do it again? Yup. T-96 is
a PITA though to get parts.

Very straightforward job, with a few things that are probably
ordinary to transmissions to but otherwise a little peculiar.

It's nice working on stuff that precise. One minor freakout --
I couldn't get all 13 rollers in the end of the clutch shaft
until I realized I had to slip the last one into place, and
not just drop it in.  Doing things like U-joints, you just
push the rollers into the layer ot grease to hold it together;
but in the trans clearances are extremely close; there's not
enough slop for it to fall in from the smaller radius; you have
to insert it into place. THat's what, half a thou?  Nice!

The worst thing happened -- got it just about all together,
and found an oil slinger disc -- one of those parts that is not
in the T-96 assembly instructions, and not in the OD photos --
it's an INTERFACE component!  Had to take the entire trans
apart, bearing out of the OD adapter, to put the oil baffle
(it turns out) in.

The trans was quite straightforward; it's easily tested and
checked after assembly. THe OD is harder to bench check, but
I think I will energize the solenoid to check BEFORE! it goes
in. PITA otherwise!

The slip rollers in the OD require a rubber band to hold
the rollers in when the drum goes over them; the rubber band
stays in the transmission!  I didn't have one... so I cut the
non-business-end of a condom off and used that...

No left over parts!

Painted the whole thing Eastwood chassis black.

NW Trans sent me the wrong output yoke oil seal, but that I
can install on-car. Hopefully it won't be hard to find.

Still have to find a pair of wrenches for the rear end yoke... 1
3/4" open ends.

Got clutch, new motor mounts. Had flywheel refaced. Bellhousing,
x-member, brackets etc all hot-tanked and painted.  I'll start
car reassembly this weekend.