Re: [Amc-list] Rambler stories, not miles but least number of miles per

Re: [Amc-list] Rambler stories, not miles but least number of miles per paint job

Joe,

You can't use CarFax on a car as old as yours anyway. I think it only
goes back into the 80's. Also, if you post your door tag data, we can
decode it for you and let you know how your car was painted and trimmed
originally.

Matt

On 3/25/2008 10:55 PM, Joe Smith spouted this sage advice:
> My 63 American 440 Hardtop is named Ramble.  We have only been together since January, so I have no clue as to his actual mileage or miles per gallon, but....Ramble is at Dickens Automotive in Santa Ana on the corner of Grand and 4th. Greg, the mechanic there, is welding the molding holes shut. I will put some of the molding back on but with 3M automotive double-stick tape. Anyway, he started with a 110 wire welder, but Ramble's skin is thick enough that he changed to a 220 wire welder. We also discovered that Ramble has been black, green, light blue, white, red, acqua, grey (or silver) and black. It appears that all but the last paint job may have been professional. When you grind thru the layers of paint, it looks like a jawbreaker!! I thought about running a car fax on him, but then I remembered that he has been re-VIN'ed so that won't work. It does explain his lack of rust though.  He was last painted before 1999, at which time he would have been 36
>  years old.  That means he was repainted an average of every 4.5 years!!  His odometer shows about 34K miles, but that could be 134K.  Very hard to tell.
>
> http://360.yahoo.com/karl_haart

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com