Re: [Amc-list] Tyres (Tires) and maybe wheels

On Sun, 23 Mar 2008, John Eckersley wrote:

> am now sure is the cause (I had this once before on a VW).  The car has 14"
> steel wheels which as far as I know are the stock ones - the tyres are
> radials - 205 R 14.  I was wondering about going back to the original
> crossply (bias ply) tyres - or slimmer  radials, or  maybe a set  of mag
> wheels of some kind.
>
> What's anyone else using ?

Congrats on passing inspection!

Likely your stock rims are bent -- 40 years of curb-banging... I
had a set trued and powder coated, but I could have bought
new ones for less.

If you care about originality that's the best route. Else get
new ones from Wheel Vintiques, $50 each new steel in widths
you want. AMC hubcaps WILL NOT fit them.

My 63 American has Wheel Vintique steel smoothies, with Moon
lake-style big disc covers.

63 Classic wagon, old 15" Torque-Thrust D's.

70 Hornet, restored 14" steelies w/dog dish hupcaps :-)

72 Hornet, AMC Rallyes, 14".