Re: [Amc-list] interesting sites today

On Thu, 20 Mar 2008, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> otoh if it -is- a genuine t14/od, you could help us document the
> adapter plate and mainshaft and any other special parts needed to put
> an o/d on a t14, so they could be duplicated.

I'm pretty sure that all you need to do to put an OD taken off a T-96,
onto a T-14, is the following:

* bore the bearing retainer hole in the back of the T-14 case out to
* accomodate the OD adapter (not trivial, but straightforward). Or, find
* a T-14+OD main casting. Part number is in the AMC parts catalog.

* Buy a T-14 OD output shaft and bearing. Part number is in the AMC
* parts catalog.

* Either lop off the end of the OD shift lever that does OD lockout (it
* pokes through a hole in the T-96 case such that shifting into "R"
* locks the OD planets) or spend the 15 minutes it takes to determine if
* a hole bored in the T-14 would work. THat hole could be done on a
* drill press, placement is not critical (eg. .010" error OK). You could
* live with out reverse OD-lockout; many OD factory installations didn't
* have it.

Pretty sure that's all that's needed. If I had the T-14+OD
mainshaft in my dirty hands I could tell you 100%. The bearing
is a no-brainer.

The OD adapter has a machined round section that centers the
OD's output shaft along the input->output->OD-output axis. You
don't want those shafts not on-axis! The hole is around 2.5"
accross; it would have to be enlarged about 1/2" yet remain
perfectly concentric.  Not a trivial operation, but a really
good shop could do it. In cast iron.