Re: [Amc-list] E-85 Conversion and bio-diesal

Re: [Amc-list] E-85 Conversion and bio-diesal

" From: russ hathaway <russh97309@xxxxxxxxx>
"
" Converting your diesal to bio-diesal isn't as easy as
" just dumping the stuff into yer tank.
" I have not done this personally but I have followed
" the "trend" rather closely, as there will probably
" come a time when I will do so and I don't want to be
" caught with my britchs down.
" As I understand it, the biggest obstacle in using
" French Fry Grease, for lack of a better term, is to
" warm it first. Some people run regular diesal from a
" small seperate tank to get going then switch to FFG
" after it warms for the rest of the trip. You have to
" slightly modify your fuel delivery size and do some
" timing issues. But that is it as far as I know. If
" someone knows first hand, please post as I follow all
" the bio-fuel for future referance, plus I am trying to
" convince my boss to retro fit his trucks. Bio-fuel is
" big around here, but is actually more expensive than
" regular diesal.
" So since FFG isn't as easy as just dumping in the
" fuel, neither is E85, though everything is worth
" taking seriously as the writing is on the wall towards
" alternate fuels......Russ

what you describe is what's called 'svo' [straight veg oil] in
bio-speak.  biodiesel specifically refers to veg oil that's been
trans-esterified with ethanol from a triglyceride [eg. fat] to lighter
[mono-]ethanides, liberating glycerol in the process.  the most common
homebrew approach is a multi-step process that uses lye as a catalyst
and -very-dry- alcohol, as water at that point poisons the reaction.
today the glycerol is just dumped, but in large scale new uses would
have to be found for it.

svo does need to be heated to about coolant temps to pump, inject, and
combust properly.  biodiesel is light and thin enough to work as-is.
you -can- just pour it into the tank and go.  likewise it just works
in furnace and water heater oil burners ['bioheat'].

heated svo works well and would be a good solution for diesels that
run 24x7 or have a high duty cycle, or have some alternate way of
heating the fuel when the engine isn't running.  this isn't very
practical for those of us who want to be able to jump in the car and
go.  biodiesel doesn't need to be heated, but pure b100 [100%
biodiesel] starts to solidify at not much below freezing.  this is its
weakest point.  the present winter solution is a b20 blend - 20%
biodiesel / 80% petrodiesel.

over in england the homebrewers run b99.  inland revenue want their
road tax, and the 1% petrodiesel satisfies the letter of the law...