Re: [Amc-list] E-85 Conversion (forgedaboutit)

Re: [Amc-list] E-85 Conversion (forgedaboutit)

" From: "Bruce Hevner" <scramblr@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
"  So why are we using Ethanol instead of Butanol?? PRICE, so far Butanol
" has been MUCH more expensive to produce than Ethanol but that could be
" changing. BP & Dupont have a pilot project going in Europe to try the
" feasibility of changing an Ethanol plant to Butanol.
" http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?ch=specialsections&sc=biofuels&id=18443&a=

i got an error when i tried to pull this pg up.

" Energy independence (or at least a step in the right direction) is easy
" for this country. All we have to do is change the wrong headed thinking
" in Washington that makes growing low THC Hemp illegal and use it to make
" Butanol.
" http://www.butanol.com/

you and they have convinced me of butanol's potential, but imho they
still have a long way to go.  iirc their production process, while it
can work directly on cellulose unlike the common yeast-based ethanol
fermentation, has miserable production efficiency.  butanol saturates
water at 7%; more separates on its own.  if they could get their
bacteria to live at this level they'd really have something, but it
chokes at 2%.

and even if we switched all gasoline vehicles to butanol, we still
consume far too much.  sufficient acreage to fill current demands
would be difficult to come by, never mind the economic spillover as
production competes for space with food crops.