Re: [Amc-list] 401 Oil Mods

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> As for the sixes, well, they've never had oiling issues that
> I know of! The only exception is the early 199/232/258 with
> rocker shafts. Those need a mod to one of the rocker shaft
> bolts to allow more oil to the shaft.

Also, no one revs much past 6000, even Navarro didn't get much
faster than that. I doubt most people rev a 199/232/258/4.0
past 5000.

Hopefully next month (soon as the trans is back in the American)
the Classic's 232 gets torn down. Since it was 100% propane
and synth oil for 20 years, the wear patterns in there will be
pretty much 100% mechanical wear patterns. I did change the
cam and lifters back in 92 or 93 otherwise it's been sealed
the whole time. I built it myself very carefully using a great
machine shop in San Francisco.

It's the old-style rocker shaft WITHOUT the mods.

Besides that issue, are there other issues with this motor? I
know it doesn't rev high, but how much oil stays in the air? This
motor's tended to run the oil pickup dry on hard turns (idiot
light comes on) obviously hasn't killed it... I assumed I put
the pickup in slightly off, but is there a sump issue?

GIven a stock 70 head etc, are there combustion chamber issues
to watch for? I don't think I've been able to run as much ign
advance as I should without pinging, so I may have squish area
AFU (it's got 199 or is it 290 flat-top pistons in it).