Re: [Amc-list] 401 oil mods

Nick,
   How are you getting 60-70 LBS from a stock oil pump? The only way I know is to use a stronger spring or put washers or spacer behind the spring to make it stiffer. This is artificially inflating the pressure. I never said we are loosing 40-50 lbs of pressure. A completely stock pump will see pressure of about 35 to 40 psi at cold idle and warm it drops to 18-20 for the reasons you stated. Factory recommended min I believe is 20 PSI. With nothing changed but our gears in a street kit, typically,  cold idle is 50-60 PSI cold and 35-40 hot. This is also dependent on other bearing clearances throughout the engine and the integrity of your pump housing.
   In our race applications we have made it so you can adjust the pressure and we run about 80 PSI
   I will try to answer any questions you may have. If I can not answer a particular question i will refer you to my partner Bill.
   Thanks,
   Davis

Nick ALFANO <71amx@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
  Davis,

Thanks for the information on what you are doing with the pump. One thing that I have not seen in my experience though is as large of a drop in oil pressure from cold to operating temperature as you have. Gears that expand at a similar rate without going over as the aluminum cover is a good idea and something we have had many discussion about in my connections. But a drop down to 18lbs or less at idle is a lot more than just that. We typically see about a 15-20 drop from cold to hot at an idle. Starting oil pressure typically around 60-70lbs and then down to the 40-50lbs range at idle. There is two reasons for this. The first is the one you stated, gears that don't expand as much as the aluminum causing an increase in clearance in the pump housing. The second is from the oil thinning out at full operating temp verses a thicker cold oil. Tighter clearance would definitely help reduce this loss but if it is dropping more in the realm of 40-50lbs
from cold to hot, I would say that has other clearance issues involved like bearing clearance than just the pump housing.

Just my thoughts but I don't think this was the only problem you were having in the example given.

Thanks again for the info on your gears. I would like to talk to your further on them.

Nick,

Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends

Message: 11