Re: [Amc-list] American transmissions

On Sat, 15 Mar 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> Well, that sucks.
> Don't you have anuthern?

Yeah, but it's not the twin stick ratio. NW Trans has a
non-twin-stick countershaft (combo gear) for $200 -- they're
"looking" for the alt ratio one, but I know that means they'll
buy it from someone and I'll pay even more (not that I think
it's unfair).

If it's available, I'll buy it, at that point the trans will be
like-new. It's one thing to cheap out on a carb, generator,
shocks, whatever, but a trans? No way, too painful, too
expensive, too invasive.  Do it right or not at all.

Monday I will tear down my other T96, and bag all the parts. It
looks good, even first gear and the synchros, much better then
the one from the American. If all else fails I'll put that
countershaft plus 2nd in it.

> However, if not then I'd figure out a way to take that peening off as it sounds like it is a thin edge and could lead to cracks and fractures.
>   Perhaps a lathe and carefully true the edge off? I realy don't have firm grasp on how best to do it.
> I'd expect once that sharp edge is flattened or whatever it will last for a very long time yet.

Yeah, I guess that woudl work out. I think I'd use a stone and
gently near-chamfer the edges square.