[Amc-list] American transmissions

Man, this T96 will kill me. STILL looking for parts.

I did a third cleaning before I started assembly last weekend
which revealed what appears to me to be "peening" on the
countershaft first gear. The tops of the teeth, instead of
being square, have a sharp edge, like the gears were cut but not
ground afterwards. This seems unlikely... they otherwise look OK
(no discoloration, cracks, grinding, rough texture, etc). It's
simply as if the tops of the teeth were not ground after cutting.
The sharp edge is like 5 thousands or so high.

Does this seem likely? ANyone seen this before? This is my
first transmission rebuild...

The damn part is $200, assuming they can find one with the Twin
Stick ratio. I hate to spend the $$$, but I hate worse to put
togethe a trans with one bad part!