Re: [Amc-list] 1994 Jeep Cherokee transaxle noise - chain slack? knockin

Re: [Amc-list] 1994 Jeep Cherokee transaxle noise - chain slack? knocking, jerking above 55 mph

>transaxle/transmission area. I need some advice on
>what to check for, I'd heard that there is a chain
>drive inside? Could the tensioner be shot? The noise
>"seems" to be like a timing chain hitting the cover
>kind of knock, hard to describe.

On an XJ of that vintage (most vintages, really), you'll
have either an NP231 or NP242 transfer case. There are
some views of the guts of a 231 here: http://www.4wheeloffroad.com/howto/3103/index.html

Both use a multi-row chain to transfer power over to the
front axle coupling. There is no tensioner I know of (but
I could be wrong). XJ's of your vintage don't have
disconnectable hubs from the factory, so the front shaft
and the chain do spin with the front wheels.

>From what you're describing, the fact that the transfer
lever affects it says that either there's a linkage
adjust problem, or there's something going bad internal.
Drain & strain it and see if/what kinds of chips you get.
Refill it with fresh Dexron if it's clean and check to make
sure the shift rod is tight. If you have chips, well...

If noise is still there, you might try pulling the
front shaft and seeing if that changes anything, if the
chain is a problem, this might help track it down.

Rebuild kits aren't too expensive, they consist of
seals, bearings, a few bushings, and a chain. I'm told
they're do-able in a home shop, but they can be tricky
to put together (I've not needed to do one myself).

The only non-wheeling failure of a 231 I know of
was one that went dry, yet didn't show any obvious
leakage signs. So, check that fluid first.

Good luck,
-sc