[Amc-list] 401 oiling

Rick,

It really depends on how you intend to use the engine.  There are some standard things you can do that a lot of guys do when they build an AMC.  If this is a lite duty, easy driving engine, you can get away without doing them although they are added insurance that are all done for a specific reasons which typically is to increase the longevity of your engine whether it be for racing or street use.

The first is the internal oil line.  This goes from the front lifter oiling junction to the area between numbers 6 & 8 lifters and diverts some of the oil back down to the main bearing.  Important if you are running over 5500 rpm on a somewhat regular basis.

The next would be reducing the oil hole diameter in the cam bearings.  Drill the hole opposite to the stock hole and then turn the bearing 180 degrees.  There is an old trick that re-drills the oil supply through the three middle main bearing to the unloaded side of the cam bearings.  Then you install a pipe plug oil restricter in the oil galley plug.  This way is a lot more involved (but a better design) than drilling the bearings.

Third would be a larger pan with external pick up.  We custom make a pan with trap doors and a shelf to keep the oil from going all over the place in the pan when accelerating, stopping and turning.  There are also other after market pans out there.   Using a 12 AN line, we drill and tap the front oil hole in the block to get a direct feed to the oil pump from this external line.  You could also purchase the Milodon oil pump adapter for the oil supply.

Another mod is the external cam/distributor oiler.  We install a 1/8 line from the oil sending unit block over and into the timing cover that spray fresh oil on the area where the two gears meet.

When building a timing cover, I machine out all of the oil passages to remove an flash and radius any bends as much as possible to help with flow.  Also, make sure you use a newer style 45 degree filter housing and not the 90 degree one.  Also a good idea to purchase the one without the oil by-pass in it.

I can supply you with all these parts or you can have you engine builder purchase them for you.   Most of the stuff is readily available if you know what you are looking for.  My kits come with the parts and instructions with illustrations.

Hope this helps,

Nick

Alfano Performance
4849-76 st.
Kenosha, WI. 53142
262-308-1302
262-942-8271 after 6pm central and weekends

Message: 1