Re: [Amc-list] Getting at the water pump - '65 American 330 w/ 196HV

On Thu, 13 Mar 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> Okay, I have 2 replacement water pumps on hand. One off e-bay, appears
> NIB, box states for
> '65 American 196 OHV. Cool! The other from Autobone. I ordered a reman
> unit - and it
> appears just plain wrong.

There's about 4 different water pumps for that motor. I got
the right one from RockAuto (I carry it as a spare).

> Question: do I remove the 4 bolts on the fan to get the fan off the
> water pump? (I'm guessing
> so) Any tricks for holding the fan still while I remove the bolts?

Expect cut knuckles.

If you REALLY get stuck, pull the radiator. It's about 5 -
10 minutes on that car.

I just use three fingers on a box-end 1/2" wrench (bolts should
be 5/6-18 x 1's with no spacer) with one hand and hold the fan
blade with the other, and pull up on the wrench. Pushing down
on the wrench means your body weight will lurch downward when
the bolt loosens and you'll REALLY scrape your knuckles.

With the radiator out you can at least get your arm in there.