Re: [Amc-list] It's time for round tires (another Rambler on the road)!

Try driving an '87 MJ 22 miles in rush hour traffic with NO clutch pedal at all! (clutch has been dying for some time and finally the slave seized almost totally) I was hoping to keep it functional enough that I could show any potential buyer of the BA 10/5 (Peugeot) 2wd trans how well it still functions. Previous owner spent $1700 at a Peugeot/Jeep specialty shop having it redone better than original. (that was 100,000 not very easy miles ago!)

From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] It's time for round tires (another Rambler on
	the	road)!
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Wed, 5 Mar 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:
"
" > Okay - I'm guessing I've got a non-synchro first in the '65 American
" > 330 with 3 on the tree. It likes to go into first when I'm at a full
" > stop. That's cool. I missed a shift once or twice. It will take some
" > getting used to.
"
" That's the infamous T96. It has a sliding first/reverse gear. You
" CANNOT shift it while moving (unless you get good at shifting
" into reverse, bringing the revs up to exactly what it will be
" in first, before shifting).

you mean double-clutching.  shifting into -neutral-, dropping the
clutch, matching revs, then clutching and shifting into 1st.  i
practised it for almost 20 years before i found a better solution...

" As far as I know, it is the only manual transmission that fits
" in that chassis short of hot rod modifications.

the t14 was std on '68 232s and all '69 sixes, maybe 2bbl 290s too.  i
put one behind my '68 199.  it needed no adaptation on the engine side
but it's ~2" shorter than the t96 that came out, and i had to lengthen
the 1-r shift rod to reach the tranny properly.

i was lucky on the length; my t14 was a '75 and by '68 even american
199s used common u-joints, so i was given a '73-ish yoke that fit my
driveshaft and was long enough to reach the tranny - longer by far
than the original '68 yoke.

afaik and fyi the driveshaft used with the '68-9 232s was also used in
'68-'70 232 javelins, and t14s had the coarse warner spline '68-'71 [a
fine mopar tf904 spline '72-6].  with the non-big-nut rear and this
matching driveshaft, i believe the t14 would bolt into any '64-9
american with a six.