Re: [Amc-list] 5/6 Speed Richmond - Write up from Rick Jones

Re: [Amc-list] 5/6 Speed Richmond - Write up from Rick Jones

Good evening all,
  Here is the write-up from Rick Jones ... thanks, Rick!

  GT :)  <><

  ***************
  Transmission Swap:  Borg Warner T10 4 Speed to the Richmond 5 Speed

  By: Rick Jones

  The challenge:  To be able to drive our AMC street machines down the interstate at 75 mph with out the engine screaming upwards towards 4000 rpm yet, be able to turn in quarter mile times that are not embarrassingly slow.
  The answer is obvious. Over drive.  This article will demonstrate what it takes to install the Richmond 5 Speed in place of the old tried and true Borg Warner T10 4 Speed.  Surprisingly enough, it is very close to a direct bolt in by using a few Jeep parts.  Basically, the transmission cross member has to be modified and a new crankshaft pilot bushing has to be machined.
  The Richmond 5 Speed started life as a Doug Nash 4+1.  One advantage that Richmond has over the Ford World Class Super Duty T5 is that it can handle 450 lbs/ft of torque.  The T5 can only handle 330/350 lbs/ft of torque.  The slight disadvantage of the Richmond is that the final drive ratio in 5th gear is 1 to 1 (like the T10).  This requires a rear end gear change to take advantage of the ?over drive affect?.  In other words, the concept of the Richmond is to use the first 4 gears for ?performance? driving and 5th gear is used for highway driving.  For instance, to match the performance of the 4 gears of a T10 with a 3.54 rear end gear, the Richmond could be installed with a 2.87 rear end.  By multiplying the Richmond transmission gear ratio by the final drive ratio will result in a 3.55 with the transmission in 4th gear. (Pretty Cool Eh!).  The chart demonstrates the comparison between the T10 and the Richmond 5 Speed including the different standard AMC final drive
 ratios.
  At one time Doug Nash did make a 5 speed for our AMC application but, not any more.  Fortunately, the Richmond unit for the Ford application will bolt directly up to the AMC bell housing used on Jeeps with the T18 transmission.  The good news is that the Jeep bell is 6.5? tall vs. the stock AMC 8? bell used with the T10.  It just so happens that the Richmond 5 Speed is about 2.5? longer than the T10. The result is that there is no modification necessary to the driveshaft.

  TRANS    BWT10    RICH5       RICH5       BWT10    RICH5        BWT10    RICH5
  F.D.R.      3.15         2.56           2.73           3.54        2.87            3.91         3.15

  1st             7.07         8.39           8.95           7.89        9.41            8.71         10.33
  2nd            5.57         5.45           5.81           6.26        6.11            6.92           6.71
  3rd             4.25         4.01           4.29           4.78        4.51            5.29           4.95
  4th             3.15         3.17           3.38           3.54        3.55            3.91           3.91
  5th                             2.56           2.73                          2.87                              3.15

  Transmission:  I used the Ford unit (836-7041710A) due to availability. The over all length of the Richmond 5 speed is about 2.5? longer than the Borg Warner T10.  The input shaft of the Richmond 5 speed is about 2? shorter than the BW T10.

  Bell Housing:  I used the shorter (6.5?) bell housing from an AMC Jeep normally found attached to the T18 three speed transmission.  These were used from 1976 to 1979. The engine bolt pattern for the bell is the same between the 6 cylinders and V8?s.  The four mounting holes line up perfectly to the Richmond transmission and more critically, the center transmission bearing housing is a slip fit to the Jeep bell housing.   AMC and Jeep did use a couple of other short bell housings that will bolt up to the V8?s but the T18 bell is the only direct bolt up.  In a pinch, the bell from the Jeep T150 would work after drilling and tapping the transmission mounting holes.

  Pilot Bushing:  The pilot bushing to accept the input shaft of the Richmond is one part that has to be machined.  The bushing will actually have to stick past the end of the crankshaft. I had a bushing machined out of brass.

  Pressure Plate and Clutch Disc:  The Richmond incorporates a 1.125? x 26 spline input shaft.  I used a 10.4? Centerforce pressure plate and disc with the 1.125? x 26 spline for a GM application.  For a little extra clearance, I ground about 1/8? off of the splined hub facing the flywheel.  (Things get tight with the shorter bell)  Caution: I would recommend buying a clutch disc alignment tool to align the clutch disc to the flywheel.  26 splines are much more difficult to line up than the 10 splines used on the old BW T10.

  Clutch Release Rod:  I had to section the rod by cutting 1? out of the center of the rod.

  Clutch Release Arm:  The AMC Jeep T18 clutch release arm works perfectly.  I added a little clearance for the transmission bearing housing mounting screw to the clutch arm by grinding a small notch but, I probably wouldn?t have had to.

  Clutch Release bearing:  Again, the AMC Jeep T18 clutch release bearing worked perfectly with no modifications.

  Shifter:  The only shifter for the Richmond 5 speed that I could find was a Hurst.  The only modification that I had to do was elongate one of the mounting holes in the mounting plate.

  Transmission Tunnel:  The transmission tunnel opening had to be cut back about 5? to accommodate the shifter.  I covered the stock opening with sheet metal and attached it with sheet metal screws.  I used the plastic shifter cover from a ?69 and latter AMX or Javelin.  I sealed both the covers with window weld sealer.  These changes left me with a hole in my carped where the old shifter was.  My solution was to cover it with inexpensive plastic console.  (I need something to hold my coffee cup anyway.)  I modified the console to accept a boot and plate.

  Transmission Mount:  The Richmond transmission accepts a standard GM style transmission mount.  I used a rubber type with a single stud mount.

  Transmission Cross Member:  I drilled a center hole for the transmission mount and elongated it for a little adjustment.  I cut a ?U? shape for shifter linkage clearance.  I used the ?U? piece by flipping it over and welding it back in place to help with strength. The cross member must be shifted towards the rear of the car by about 1.5?.  Two of the mounting studs do line up with the center holes of the cross member.   Unfortunately, the second set of mounting studs line up with the off set bend in the cross member.  To use the second set of mounting holes I made a cut and straightened out the flange so that is was flat.  I welded a piece of ¼? x 2?x 4 1/2? flat stock to the mounting area of each side of the cross member.  This actually lowers the rear of the transmission by ¼?.  And last, I drilled through the mounting tabs and elongated the holes.

  Transmission Yoke:  The Richmond out put shaft is the same as the GM Turbo 400.  I bought a yoke from Jeg?s that will accept the stock AMC u-joint. No modifications required.

  Drive Shaft:  No modifications required!  Believe it or not, the stock drive shaft length is perfect.

  Speedometer Cable:  The output for the speedometer cable is on the opposite side of the BW T10 requiring a longer cable.  I found a cable from NAPA that works perfect.  To keep the cable away from the exhaust, I attached it to the passenger side frame rail at the same location as the brake line.

  Speedometer Gear:  The Richmond transmission accepts a GM Turbo 350 speedometer cable adaptor. I bought one from a junk yard.  I bought a new speedometer gear from National Parts Depot that would be correct with my final drive ratio.

  Rear Differential Gear:  I changed the final drive ratio in my car from a 3.54:1 to a 2.73:1.  The 2.73:1 came from a Jeep application.  A word of caution: Gear ratio?s below 2.87:1 require a carrier change as well with the AMC 20.

  Transmission: Richmond 5 Speed # 7041710A (Ford application)       (Used)
  Bell Housing: AMC/Jeep 6.5? # 3229127CF                                            (Used)
  Pilot Bushing: Machined out of brass.                                                        (Machined)
  Pressure Plate: Centerforce #183-DF361675 (GM application)            (Jeg?s)
  Clutch Disc: Centerforce #183-384161 (GM application)                       (Jeg?s)
  Clutch Release Arm: Jeep T18                                                                   (Used)
  Clutch Release Bearing: AMC/Jeep SKF N1444-SA                              (NAPA)
  5 Speed Shifter: Hurst #530-407-009                                                        (Jeg?s)
  Center Console                                                                                             (AutoZone)
  Boot and Plate: Indy Qualifier #530-114-8435                                          (Jeg?s)
  Transmission Mount: Balkamp #620-1026 (GM application)                  (NAPA)
  Transmission Yoke: # 836-5Y1310 (Turbo 400/AMC 3.218? U-joint)     (Jeg?s)
  Speedometer Adaptor: GM Turbo 350                                                      (Used)
  Speedometer Cable: Balkamp #615-1605 (75? long)                             (NAPA)
  Speedometer Gear Driven: #3987917                              (National Parts Depot)

  Pros:  The 3.38:1 final drive ratio in 4th gear is great for street racing. (Oops! I mean, ?Spirited acceleration trials at the local drag strip.?)  And the bonus, the 2.73:1 final drive ratio in 5th gear is great for the highway cruising.  Not only does it help with gas mileage plus, the engine is not screaming at 3500/4000 rpm at highway speeds.  The shifter placement is great.  The gear noise is different than the T10 but not objectionable.  (I kind of like it?)

  Cons:  There is a learning curve to shifting the 5 speed.  I am not able to shift through the gears of the Richmond as fast as I can with the old T10.  I?m sure that all is required is more practice on my part.  Also, down shifting from 5th is a bit tricky.  If care is not taken, you end up grinding the reverse gear.  Again, this is a matter of getting used to it.

  Driver?s overall impression:  In a word, ?Sweet?!  The transmission swap is the best thing that I have done to the car.  It turned a fun to drive car into a pleasure to drive car.