Re: [Amc-list] It's time for round tires (another Rambler on the road)!

Re: [Amc-list] It's time for round tires (another Rambler on the road)!

" From: JOE FULTON <piper_pa20@xxxxxxxxxxx>
"
" []
"
" I can remember those huge rail bogies with TIMKEN cast
" into the axle housing.

i'm sure i've seen timkens, but i remember the triangular 'skf' logos
better.

before the timkens, railroad truck axle bearings were journals, like
engine bearings but without an oil pump.  they depended on the motion
of the axle to self-lubricate, so more starting torque than running
torque was needed.  it really was a big deal when charles atlas pulled
a boxcar with his teeth...  a hot box of course is when lubrication
failed for any reason.  at worst it could seize, and that could indeed
cause a derailment.

in a roller bearing such as the timkens or skfs, oil serves more as
coolant than lubrication.

interesting that brakemen were trained to recognize hot boxes by
-sound-.