Re: [Amc-list] It's time for round tires (another Rambler on the road)!

Re: [Amc-list] It's time for round tires (another Rambler on the road)!

Maybe I digress a little, but when I first saw the
name TIMKEN it was on rail car bogies in the rail yard
where my Dad worked.  He was a railroad policeman for
many years and when my brothers and I were old enough
(9 or 10 at least) he would sometimes take us to work
with him in the summer.  The nights were hot and humid
and we would walk the rail yard with a flashlight and
check rail car door seals.  This was in Louisville, KY
so there was many car loads of bourbon whiskey in the
yard at any time.  It was night shift so we also
looked for hoboes hiding in the cars.

My Dad explained what a hot box was (overheated
bearing) and explained that TIMKEN bearings just about
eliminated the problems with hot boxes. He said even
one hot box on a whole train could sometimes cause a
train wreck.  It was the brakeman's or switchman's job
to check for hot boxes.  We would listen to the sound
of the axles as the switch engines moved cars around
in the dark.  He would report anything really odd
sounding or odd looking to the engineer in the cab (by
radio) or flag a train down and talk with the crew.

I can remember those huge rail bogies with TIMKEN cast
into the axle housing.

Joe Fulton

I likewise am still running Timken wheel