Re: [Amc-list] sorry/ Re: Ooooops, and Awwwwww. Ummmmm, anyone interes

Re: [Amc-list] sorry/ Re: Ooooops, and Awwwwww. Ummmmm, anyone interested in...plus even more rambling.

On Tue, 4 Mar 2008, Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

> I never for a million years thought I'd beinterestedin anything
> pre 64 till I saw the 62 Classis 2dr sedan Jerry posted for
> sale last year. That one sparked an interest, A base Classic
> 2dr sedan realy is me. For some twisted reason those are the
> cars I gravitate towards.

62 - 64 classic/ambo chassis is right at the peak of AMC quality
and design, overall. Later cars have obvious advantages and
sweet spots but for overall 'holistic' design+construction
quality those years are tought to beat. They'll take big or
small engines, you gotta dump the torque tube to modernize
the rear. Light, strong, good styling (62 is "old", 63 is
"new"). Wraparound glass and rear tilt out vent windows!

<rant>Having now replaced BOTH! ball joints at under 45,000
miles in my Hornet I like trunnion front ends more and more. They
were brand name parts from NAPA and I replaced every single wear
part, hot-tanked, painted, installed and and aligned with loving
care and a harsh eye on reality. Good balanced tires. Greased
twice annually and aligned. Last month, replaced pitman, idler,
drivers side ball joint. Last fall, pass. ball joint. I'm sick
of crap part quality! Trunnion cars? PITA to get right, but
then they last 80K miles between alignments. Parts last forever
if maintained. While I don't blame AMC for my aftermarket ball
joints, they're inherently inferior -- one part handling forces
in multiple planes is design-for-cost.</rant>

>    If I can work out plan to get it here. I'll be joining the
> growing group of people trying to run the old 196's. [for a while
> anyway].

Kool! I look forward to building one in my shop too. I need a
block, crank, cam and bottom end junk to build one up on. I so
regret not high-balling that one that was running 10 mi. from me!