Re: [Amc-list] eagle rear end HELP/ADVISE wanted

An XJ rear diff bolts into an Eagle wagon (except the shock mounts are reversed) 3.55 is in just about every 4.0L auto XJ (D35, D44 and 9.25 came with this as the most common ratio. The M20 sometimes came with it, but usually came with 3.07, and in MJs only) '87 up Jeep Wrangler and Comanche axles are nearly identical.

From: Wrambler242@xxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] eagle rear end HELP/ADVISE wanted
To: Eddie Stakes <eddiestakes@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "AMC/Rambler
	owners,	drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

Eddie,
    IIRC, Jim Blair bolted a XJ Cherokee axle under an Eagle succesfully.
The Comanche axle is incorrect sinceit sits on top of the leaves and the Eagle is underslung.
   What you need to pull the swap off is just about any 4.0L auo rear axle from a small Cherokee.
The small Cherokees with autos get a 3:55 rear axle and they will also give you one piece axles.
Wheel bolt pattern is the same, ebrake cables should fit the XJ axle too.
The only thing that will need refitting is the shock mounts and possibly the rear drive shaft.
    With the scarcity of the 4cyl stick Eagles this would likely be the best way to go.
I think anything short of that 3:54 or 3:55 axle will leave you wanting...

--
Mark Price