Re: [Amc-list] T96, T14 clutch -- final numbers

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> hmmm...  if the spline 'working depth' is say 1/16", then like a gear
> the pitch diameter could be 15/16", eg. mid-spline, less than the od.

Well, it'll come out in the wash (proper turn of phrase :-)
when the parts arrive here. They fit, or they don't fit. It
would be fine by me (if somewhat inconvenient) if I should have
bought a 15/16" x 10T because those are (more) common!

> " > i've got a t14 in my '68 199 rambler right now, and it fitted the bell
> " > and clutch just fine.  and the tailshaft was ~2" short of where the
> " > outgoing t96's landed.
> "
> " Well I will try to put my factory-correct 195.6OHV+T-96OD
> " bellhousing onto the T14 this weekend and will tell you.
>
> i've forgotten - does your car have the rear mount on the bell or the
> tranny?  the t96 pattern changed that year [iirc the lower bolts
> moved - down 1"].  i don't know of any other differences on the tranny
> nose between the t96 and car t14.

Ahh... I do not have Tri-Poised mount! I got the old four-cushion
mount, the rear crossmember and mounts attach to the bellhousing,
not the transmission tail.

See, even I forgot about that one :-) That's why I hesistate to
substitute without eyeball matching, there's too many expensive
variables!

> well that's pretty good provenance.  my t14 is a '75 or so but to the
> best of my knowledge the only changes '68-'76 were the output spline
> and tranny mount loc.  '68-'71 were coarse spline, '72-6 fine.

(I have other bells and such, I will attempt a correlation this
weekend.)

> yeah, that's a point.  is the flywheel or bellhousing actually any
> different though?  afaik the 8 1/2" and 9 1/8" both have the same
> bolt pattern.  they definitely use the same release bearing.

Nope, totally different circle diameter, about 1" diameter
difference.  I'll measure later if anyone cares. I think Frank
talked about a double-drilled flywheel, but mine aren't. I have
one of each; in fact the 9" (OK, 9.25") flywheel came off the 69
Jav 232 I think, or at least some other 232 -- so I can tell you
for certain that a 195.6 and pre-72 flywheel really are the same.

I neglected to mark the flywheel position on the crank! Crap! I
assume there's the one offset bolt there. The 232 is internally
balanced, so I hope the 195.6 is too!