Re: [Amc-list] T96, T14 clutch -- final numbers

Re: [Amc-list] T96, T14 clutch -- final numbers

" From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>
"
" On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Sandwich Maker wrote:
"
" > you measured the input shaft diameters, right?  i've always thought of
" > the t96 and t14 as 10 x 15/16" spline and i'm sure i learned it
" > somewhere authoritative.  could that be the spline 'pitch diameter'?
"
" I hope not! I measured across the tops (outside) of the splines
" (lucky it was an even number of splines).

hmmm...  if the spline 'working depth' is say 1/16", then like a gear
the pitch diameter could be 15/16", eg. mid-spline, less than the od.

" Since my measurement jives perfectly with what the catalog

nit: jibes [or gybes] a nautical term for sailing with the wind, not
jives which from slang usage should have rather the opposite meaning.
you jiving me?

" says, I assume for now that is correct. I'll find out when the
" part arrives!
"
" > i've got a t14 in my '68 199 rambler right now, and it fitted the bell
" > and clutch just fine.  and the tailshaft was ~2" short of where the
" > outgoing t96's landed.
"
" Well I will try to put my factory-correct 195.6OHV+T-96OD
" bellhousing onto the T14 this weekend and will tell you.

i've forgotten - does your car have the rear mount on the bell or the
tranny?  the t96 pattern changed that year [iirc the lower bolts
moved - down 1"].  i don't know of any other differences on the tranny
nose between the t96 and car t14.

" > are you sure what you have -is- a [car, not jeep] t14 and not the
" > nearly identical-appearing t86/t90?  main case length is 8" for a t86,
" > about 8.7" for a t14.  do you know what year your t14 is?  what's the
" > output spline, coarse [like t96] or fine [like tf904]?
"
" Didn't check the output shaft, but I could. The trans is a 1969
" passenger car AMC T-14. "T14" is cast into the side, and it
" meets all the specs from Antti's trans ID page. I got it from
" Joe Fulton, attached to a 232. It was a passenger car motor
" (oil pan and what-joe-sez :-)

well that's pretty good provenance.  my t14 is a '75 or so but to the
best of my knowledge the only changes '68-'76 were the output spline
and tranny mount loc.  '68-'71 were coarse spline, '72-6 fine.

" > try disk rcf658 and pp ca1676 for a 9 1/8" clutch.
"
" Well, I went with 8.5" because (1) it works and (2) it fits. I don't
" want to work out if the 9" clutch clears the tiny bellhousing, or if the
" 1/4" larger diameter flywheel (ring gear diam. is the same) matters, or
" any of those microscopic but drop-dead difficult things that you find
" out while putting in the last bolt laying under the car - or worse -- on
" the first test drive and it all has to come back out! I'll let someone
" else test that.

yeah, that's a point.  is the flywheel or bellhousing actually any
different though?  afaik the 8 1/2" and 9 1/8" both have the same
bolt pattern.  they definitely use the same release bearing.

i found when putting a 10" clutch into my '66 199 that only a real 10"
pp would fit, not the 10.5" most rebuilders sub for the '72-up sixes.
at least, b&b style; i haven't tried a diaphragm type.  that's on the
larger bolt pattern the 199/232 also has.

" And it's not like the 9 1/4" clutch is easier to find!

at least it isn't -harder- to find...