Re: [Amc-list] T96, T14 clutch -- final numbers

On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, Sandwich Maker wrote:

> you measured the input shaft diameters, right?  i've always thought of
> the t96 and t14 as 10 x 15/16" spline and i'm sure i learned it
> somewhere authoritative.  could that be the spline 'pitch diameter'?

I hope not! I measured across the tops (outside) of the splines
(lucky it was an even number of splines).

Since my measurement jives perfectly with what the catalog
says, I assume for now that is correct. I'll find out when the
part arrives!

> i've got a t14 in my '68 199 rambler right now, and it fitted the bell
> and clutch just fine.  and the tailshaft was ~2" short of where the
> outgoing t96's landed.

Well I will try to put my factory-correct 195.6OHV+T-96OD
bellhousing onto the T14 this weekend and will tell you.

> are you sure what you have -is- a [car, not jeep] t14 and not the
> nearly identical-appearing t86/t90?  main case length is 8" for a t86,
> about 8.7" for a t14.  do you know what year your t14 is?  what's the
> output spline, coarse [like t96] or fine [like tf904]?

Didn't check the output shaft, but I could. The trans is a 1969
passenger car AMC T-14. "T14" is cast into the side, and it
meets all the specs from Antti's trans ID page. I got it from
Joe Fulton, attached to a 232. It was a passenger car motor
(oil pan and what-joe-sez :-)

> " My conclusion: The AMC clutch is apparently unique.
>
> the clutch numbers from your other post also match studebaker, and the
> 8 1/2" disk was also used by volvo [!!].  this is from a perfection
> pdf catalog

I see that too.

> try disk rcf658 and pp ca1676 for a 9 1/8" clutch.

Well, I went with 8.5" because (1) it works and (2) it fits. I don't
want to work out if the 9" clutch clears the tiny bellhousing, or if the
1/4" larger diameter flywheel (ring gear diam. is the same) matters, or
any of those microscopic but drop-dead difficult things that you find
out while putting in the last bolt laying under the car - or worse -- on
the first test drive and it all has to come back out! I'll let someone
else test that.

And it's not like the 9 1/4" clutch is easier to find!