Re: [Amc-list] Eagle rear diff difaffembly

Try 2.37 gears! (but mine was 3 speed auto with lockup) My '87 MJ came with 3.07 gears and when I lifted it to clear 33" tires, I put in 3.73 gears and that made it match the previous performance (which is not a slacker by any means since I learned about using BG's 44K to clean the injectors once a year!) My truck doesn't run empty very often either. I just came in from unloading the 4x4 AW4/NP242 combo (that will be going into the truck) and three 33/9.50/15 tires, 2 tool boxes, a poly recycle tub that I have 1/2 filled with getcha back stuff (3 comealongs, a set of snow chains, tow chain for a logging truck, tow rope, extra work clothes and coveralls and 3 bags of sand)
   I had to mostly empty out the back of the truck so I can load it up with a bunch of free used thermopane windows on my way home from work tonight. (beats spending $1000+ for replacements on the '74 mobile home we have with all single panes!)

From: Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] Eagle rear diff difaffembly
To: amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx

You have to pull the diff to take it apart. I don't think there's any way
to do it otherwise, and you'd be very cramped even if you could -- bet it
would take as long or longer than sliding the axles out and pulling the
diff to a bench.

2.73 gears and a five speed? Fifth would be just about useless! My car has
3.55 gears and fourth (0.70 OD) is useless under 65-70 mph!! My Jeep
Commanche w/five speed had 3.08s. Only used fifth when on the interstate,
no point anywhere else. 3.31s would have been great! They were available
in Eagles, but not common. 3.08s should be. 3.08 was common for 80-81
models, 3.31 was only a high altitude option. It went downhill from there
-- 2.xx gears across the board in 82-83, except the trailer towing option,
which was 3.08. Four cylinder models all got 3.54, whcih I don't think
would be too steep for the five speed from my experience. Your Eagle
probably weighs about as much as my 63 Classic wagon. As long as you're
not planning on cruising past 80 mph 3.54 should be real good, and mileage
around town should even pick up as the engine isn't working as hard as it
is with the 2.73 gears. I don't have any TSMs past 83, but I beleive
gearing stayed the same as 82-83 models.