Re: [Amc-list] 63 Classic gask tanks

> You make it sound so easy when you write "popped out the sender"!  My experience with these is that they're pretty well rusted on, and those three little prongs are weak and want to bend rather than allow you to put force on them to turn them.
>
> Do you have a special tool for removing these?  If so, let me know what it is and where to get one!  I have a tank that's just sitting there waiting for me to clean it, but I need to get the sender out.
>
> Also, this tank has a think layer of Brown Gunk in the bottom, but appears to be a very solid tank otherwise.  Suggestions on what de-gunkifying solution to use?

Give the sender ring a good wd-40 soak.  Scrape off the undercoating.  Tap the three tabs alternately by hammering a dull chisel against them while thinking about which direction you want the ring to turn.
To clean the tank, tape up all but one hole, find a light chain, and dish soap and water.  Dump it all in and swish around.  Repeat until rinse water runs clear.  Some people say to use nuts and bolts or gravel to knock rust loose, but then you have to get all that stuff back out.  With a chain, you only have to get hold of one link to remove the whole thing.  It takes some work to clean it all out.  I hung a rope from my garage roof (you could use a tree too) and looped it around the tank to hold the weight of the tank and all the water so I only had to rock it back and forth rather than lift the weight of the whole thing to shake it.  When it is good and clean, leave it in the sun to dry inside and out.

If you want to seal it, the POR-15 brand tank sealer has worked well for me, and with one order I did two tanks.