[Amc-list] Flexplate & Mini-Starter Questions for 727 auto

[Amc-list] Flexplate & Mini-Starter Questions for 727 auto

I am planning to buy a 6-cylinder flexplate for the neutral-balance build on the 304 stroker motor.  This will be replacing the weighted flexplate for my 1989 Grand Wagoneer's current 360.

  I have researched the various flexplates at www.partsamerica.com for a 1989 GW (360, weighted) a 1989 YJ (258 non-weighted) and a 1980 GW (258 non-weighted).  They all are the same diameter, same tooth count and pitch.  The 1980 258 unit is about $20 less than the 1989 258 unit (YJ).

  I would like to run a high torque mini starter, in place of the stock Chrysler "mini-starter", since I'll be pushing 10:1 compression with the stroker.  I had talked with a guy on Ebay (happens to live not far from my work), who sells Mini-starters and he said that the mini-starter would not work with my 1988+newer GW 727.

  Is there something different about the 1988+newer trannies or flexplates, that would prohibit the use of the mini-starter?  Are the bolt holes different in the tranny and/or starter?

  Could I run the 1980 258 flex plate and then use the high-torque mini starter?

  Is the stock Chrysler 'mini starter' strong enough to handle 10:1 and should I just stick with it?  Please keep in mind that I still have to swap from a 360 flex plate, to a neutrally balanced (no weight) 258 flexplate for my stroker build (it will be internally balanced).

  Also, the stock mini-starter has full power to it and then a supplemental ignition wire that engages the starter.  Could this be why a mini-starter won't 'work'?

  Thanks for the feedback, all!

Sincerely,
Greg Taylor :)  <><

And the testimony is this, that God has given us eternal life, and this life is in His Son. He who has the Son has the life; he who does not have the Son of God does not have the life.  - 1 John 5:11-12