Re: [Amc-list] Adjusting clutch - '65 American, 195.6OHV, 3 speed manual

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Bruce Griffis wrote:

> When I let the clutch out on my car, it engages VERY high. I'd like to try and
> adjust it, but am confusing myself reading the TSM. Any of you guys have a
> clutch adjusting for dummies cheat sheet?

There's not much to set; there should be 1/2" or so play at
the pedal (TSM...)

Likely the high pedal is the same reason as mine: the fiber
insulator that holds the bellcrank (chassis to bellhousing pivoting
bar and rods) is sagged. Mine's nearly collapsed, and it's allowed the
linkage to sag rearward, throwing off positions.

It's a PITA to replace! It shouldn't cause any other problems,
so wait until clutch repair time...

> Also - I see the plug on the right hand side of the transmission for filling
> the tranny. If I wanted to change the fluid, would I just syphon it out, then
> fill it to the plug level with 80 weight fluid? Or am I better off leaving old
> fluid in there, and just topping it off?

There should be one bottom rear center of the main casting. 5/8"
open end wrench.

I don't think many people do, or suggest, changing tranny oil. I
did, but it was pointless, since it was too worn out anyways. The
newer oil might have actually increased the leak rate!