Re: [Amc-list] Good Rambler day! (196 problems?)

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> > As long as proper maintenance is done the 196 will be
> reliable. The only reason I stopped using one in a daily driver
> was parts availability. I didn't want to carry a water pump and a
> few other spares every time I went on a trip more than an hour or
> so away. The water pump is really the only "regular maintenance"
> item that could fail and really leave you stranded.

I seem to be the only crazy person using these old cars for
daily and long-distance use. In the American, I'm simply
carrying a spare water pump and fuel pump. (I've got a core
fuel pump apart in a can of solvent awaiting my rebuild.)
Trans will be renewed in the next few weeks.

I plan on a trip to Santa Fe in it. I'm unsure of this motor
simply because I did not build it. I'm certainly not bragging
about my engine-build skills, they're pretty minimal, but I
can follow instructions and pay attention to important details.

Until this weekend I've been commuting Los Angeles to Irvine
daily in it, about 95 miles round trip. It behaves perfectly,
I lift the hood weekly, look smell and listen.