Re: [Amc-list] Good Rambler day!

On Tue, 26 Feb 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> Sounds like you had a productive day indeed! You need to look at your TSM. The center of the rear universal caps need to be 4-3/16" from the front of the axle housing (not the extended seal, the cast iron housing). You will likely have to drive it on to get the distance correct. Make sure the splines are clean and dry if it's been taken off. If not, just check the distance, adjust if necessary, and tighten the nut. If the yoke is stuck in place it's better to leave it unless you need to take it off to replace the u-joints.

The shield is in place; the seal isn't leaking, and when I
changed the axle fluid (part of my initial inspection) it was
pretty much full and decent looking.

I realize that mechanically, with the rear yoke not gripping the
splines tightly, the driveshaft can float fore and aft. That's
certainly not as designed, but I wonder what the downside is
to leaving it loose?

I've so far only glanced at the TSM on this subject, but believe
me, I will RTFM!

The rear splines are dirty, looks like old lube. Did not inspect,
just a glance after removal. Will examine. No surprise if that
rear seal seeps (normal), but it's not much.

I don't have wrenches that size (what, 3"?!!) but those are
pretty much novelty wrenches, I will have to look around for
a solution.