The splines on the pinion shaft are straight. The threaded part of the yoke has a split (slot) and the threads are tapered to the front (towards the u-joint -- front as when installed). As the nut is tightened the yoke grips the pinion shaft. The nut should be tightened to 300 lb/ft. I use a couple 18" pipe wrenches, one with a 24" cheater pipe over it (about 30" of handle) and tighten as tight as I can. I put one over the weld on the end of the driveshaft and let the handle prop against the floor, then put as much weight as I can on the cheater. AMC had a wrench the fit the yoke right behind the u-joint "ears", but my pipe wrenches are too thick to work there. If you have a huge adjustable wrench it might work, but I think that would be too thick also. Just don't grip the shaft itself -- the tubing would bend! It won't over the welded end though. Done this more times than I cared to!

Date: Mon, 25 Feb 2008 18:56:22 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx>

Axle and trans out in 90 minutes. Easy! Umm, is this bad? The
driveshaft simply slid off the splines on the pinion. I thought
it was nutted on there?! This is a big nut rear... is that a
jam nut on a tapered thread meant to jam the splines? What's
the point of that?! Otherwise it's all fine and I'll put it
back that way unless someone yells.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"