[Amc-list] 63 gas tanks

I wish I could say it was an easy job -- it wasn't.
Hopefully
yours isn't this bad. Mine bent pushrods and needed a
valve job,
that's how bad gas tank gunk can be.

AMEN TO THAT!!!!

tom and i both went thru VERY similar episodes at
almost the same time. i also had old gas in the tank
of a 65 classic i have. not realizing that it was
gummy and cruddy like it was, i put new fuel in there
(about 5gal) and that broke the old gunk up enough to
move it to the intake valves. once it is there and
heated up from the engine heat, it builds a tar like
substance, and your now going to be having to replace
pushrods, and could possibly do an entire engine job.
i had 2 valves that would shut all the way, luckly
they were shutting enough to not hit the pistons. i
also lost 3 lifters due to collapsing so bad it
crushed the springs and everything in them AFTER it
bent the pushrod occompanying that lifter, but before
the lifter fell out of the rocker/pushrod.

point is, save yourself a LOT of grief, money, and
time by investing the time to take the tank off, and
dump in some pea gravel into the tank, (i put just
water in mine when i did it) and shake it around VERY
vigorously, and get all that out of there you can. im
sure there are better ways to clean them, but that was
my r/m at the time and suited my wallet.

dave stohler
http://picasaweb.google.com/das24rules