Re: [Amc-list] My '65 American moves under it's own power!

Re: [Amc-list] My '65 American moves under it's own power!

Bruce,

Congratulations!

Don't even think twice about it -- rebuild that carb! I also recommend
taking it completely apart (basically removing the choke and throttle
plates are the extra steps) so you can get the goo out of everything.

If the car is just creeping along, you may not be hitting the brakes
hard enough to get the lights to come on (there is a pressure switch in
the master cylinder) or the switch may be bad (it's a common part) or
the grounds may be bad at the lights.

I had similar lighting issues with my 68 when I got it but it was mostly
burnt out bulbs (I think the headlights and one bulb in the dash
worked). BTW, getting the light bulbs out of the turn signals sucks. The
easiest way to do it is to break the bulbs and go after the base with a
pair of needle nose pliers.

Lucas makes some seal conditioner for automatic transmissions that is
supposed to be good but as was previously pointed out, I wouldn't mess
around with a slipping transmission too long. You may also want to take
a good sniff of the tranny fluid. If it smells burnt, don't bother with
the Lucas stuff. Your transmission needs rebuilt.

You may also want to give GM Top Engine cleaner a try for reducing the
smoking. It does an excellent job at cleaning up carbon and various
sticky goo that forms inside of the engine. Freeing stuck rings is one
of the things its supposed to do. I'd fix the exhaust manifold before
trying it so you don't cover the engine in the stuff it loosened up.

Matt

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> It starts!
> It smokes!
> It idles!
> It goes forward (slowly, in first)!
> It goes backward! (now I can adjust those brakes!!!!)
>
> The carb either needs rebuilding or a good cleaning. I'll spray it, but I'm
> thinking a rebuild is required.
> The cast iron exhaust manifold is cracked (can it be welded, or do I need a
> new one?)
>
> I still need to fix the horn, (and the front turn signals, and the brake
> lights, and pick up wiper blades, ...)
>
> But it starts!!!!

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH