[Amc-list] Swapping in 304 (was: 71 Gremlin 232 (AMC 15 axle vs AMC 20)

I'm tempted to pull the 304 back from my rolled '73 J4000 and put it in my '82 Spirit, but (un)fortunately I sold all the swap parts when I got rid of the '77 AMX parts car. Besides, it needs to be my fuel SAVER! LOL! (It's being hastily pushed into daily service while I work on fixing/converting my '87 MJ to auto and 4x4)

From: Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232 (AMC 15 axle vs AMC 20)
To: "AMC/Rambler owners, drivers and fans." <amc-list@xxxxxxxxxxxx>

I agree. It is fun but usually the first thing to do is get a posi atleast. Even when I was a kid it was not as much fun roasting  one legged. I went to the track occassionally with my 360 grem and the peg leg amc 15 in it and I went thru the progressions of breaking it till I put in a 9" and that was a mild 360 with street tires no stickies. And the car was only turning 13's with horrible 2.2 short times.
   As for performance of a hoped up 232 vs a stock 304. I look at it like this, Put the same money into a 304 that you did the 232 and you will have 5 times the fun. Then I say why swap in a 304 when a 360 would cost the same and you get even more out of it. Course you always go with what you have and what you can afford at the time.
   Davis