Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232 (AMC 15 axle vs AMC 20)

Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232 (AMC 15 axle vs AMC 20)

I agree. It is fun but usually the first thing to do is get a posi atleast. Even when I was a kid it was not as much fun roasting  one legged. I went to the track occassionally with my 360 grem and the peg leg amc 15 in it and I went thru the progressions of breaking it till I put in a 9" and that was a mild 360 with street tires no stickies. And the car was only turning 13's with horrible 2.2 short times.
   As for performance of a hoped up 232 vs a stock 304. I look at it like this, Put the same money into a 304 that you did the 232 and you will have 5 times the fun. Then I say why swap in a 304 when a 360 would cost the same and you get even more out of it. Course you always go with what you have and what you can afford at the time.
   Davis

Tom Jennings <tomj@xxxxxxx> wrote:
  On Fri, 22 Feb 2008, Davis Martin wrote:

> Ok almost any rear will stand up to 300 HP or more if it a peg leg non posi with 0 traction. But what is the fun in that? One wheel peel is not most people's idea of performance. I would say that the same rear with stickies might not last the 2nd burnout.

You're absolutely right; but not everyone is after maximum
dragstrip performance! Lots (maybe most) car nuts I know of are
after improvements, for fun, knowledge, and the satisfaction
of doing; getting another 25hp out of a modest little economy
six is a hell of a lot of fun, and it doesn't stress the car
or the wallet.

This part of the thread started with someone talking about
mild hop-ups on a 232ci six, vs. possibly a stock? 304ci v8 in
a Gremlin.