--------------------
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2008 12:25:49 -0800 (PST)
From: Greg Taylor <amundaza@xxxxxxxxx>

I would recommend getting the later 1980's 258 cylinder head, intake and exhaust manifold.  Those 258's had 9.2:1 compression.

  Then you could do the Chevy 1.94/1.50 valve conversion, using the undercut stems for more low/mid range air flow.  Picks up an easy 30 HP in breathing on a stock 258 in my '83 spirit GT.  FYI, on a stock bore engine, I had the exhausts cut down to 1.45" diameter.

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"