Re: [Amc-list] 71 Gremlin 232

On Thu, 21 Feb 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> Tom, the only "problem" you might have is that the ports
> on the 70 head should be much bigger than the later model
> ports.

Hmm, I'll watch for that. The gaskets I have match up, so that
will be an easy check guide.

Bigger exhaust ports would be a problem though.

> Since your Classic uses a linkage instead of a cable you will
> have a wee bit of a problem.

Fabricating that stuff I don't mind and find easy enough, mill or
not. I do 99% of my work with a 5" Wilton vise, a cheap Delta 6"
drill press, files and hacksaw.

It's already a fabricated linkage, M35 and all, since I have
a propane carb now that had none of that stuff anyhoo.

> The problem will just be no place to bolt the linkage on.

On my 70 Hornet/83 258, I had to fab up the kickdown linkage
from the carb to trannie, as I simply lost the rod. But it was
a stock-ish throttle cable setup to begin with. The late-model
hanging pedal with flappy tab bugs me, it seems like it ought
to be on a go-kart.

I far prefer the old style floor mounted gas pedal, which the
Rambler has, with it's silly push-to-turn rod linkage. Nice
to drive in bare feet with (screw legality there :-) I rotated
the carb 90 degrees to accomodate that, the aluminum setup will
require a re-think.

(I hadn't given these issues any thought, to be honest, and
was just gonna bang up against the problem when I got there :-)