Re: [Amc-list] We have brakes!!!!

Good news on the brakes. Make sure to change the oil and filter before
starting the motor and it wouldn't hurt to change it again after a
little bit of running.

It would be a good idea to prime the oiling system before you start it.
You can do that by yanking the distributor, cutting the handle off of a
big flat head screw driver, chucking that in a drill, and using a drill
to drive the oil pump. Once you see oil at the rocker shaft (you should
be able to see it through the oil fill cap), you're done.

After you drain the coolant, it would be a good idea to just fill it
with distilled water for the initial start up. That way, if you end up
having problems that require the cooling to be drained, you're just
draining water. You will also need to open the water heater valve to get
all of the air out of the system but I recommend opening it at the valve
instead of trying the control. The reason is that it the valve is
frozen, you'll bend the control cable. A lawn mower shop can replace the
cable core if that happens.

Hopefully, you'll find no leaks or other problems that would make you
need to change the coolant. If that's the case, I'd flush it out really
well before refilling with coolant.

One other cooling system tip: Stay away from Triden brand hose clamps.
They used to be good but turned crappy about 10 years ago (that's when
they started making them overseas). You can still get good stainless
steel clamps made in either the US or Canada. When I buy them, I go to
one of the two regional chains near my house (these are the places the
repair shops go to for parts) and I can get the good ones for the same
price or less than the crappy ones.

Matt

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> My oldest son and I replaced the master cylinder and bled the brakes today. We now have brakes!!! The car actually stops and everything! We have some work to do to make it go, but now we know it will stop. Cool.
>
> Hope to do the coolant and replace the radiator hoses tomorrow. Maybe change the oil, change the fuel filter and the fan belt. The car should be in decent shape when we get the gas tank back from Marietta Radiator. I'm hoping to try starting it by the end of the week.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon