[Amc-list] Worked 304

From: Davis Martin <martin-davis@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: [Amc-list] AMC 304 V8 Stroker Build (327-cid AMC V8!) -
	Final	Answer ( Why ... Why Not!)

Greg,
   I understand now. yous got into it deep. I just never messed with the 304 cause it would take so much money to make that mere 300 HP.
   Here is a for instance. I took a stock 140K mile 360 and put on a set of ported 502 Iron heads and an Isky 236 @ .050 cam, Torker intake, holley 650 DP carb and made 400 HP. Now the short block was COMPLETELY STOCK with 140K miles. Pushed my 3050LBS to 12.6 @ 107 and made 296 HP to the rear wheels thru a 727 tranny and a ford 9"
   My 401 is alot different with aluminum heads and custom pistons but with stock crank and rods and only 10.4 to 1 compression it makes 530+ HP on 93 octane.
   Forgive me but at this point I see it as a waste of money to stroke a 304. But I understand your wanting to be different and I know 10 years ago the technology was alot different then it is now.
   Davis

\\

Jeeze Davis, it's going into a Wagoneer - he won't be shaving the light
staging a Wal Mart launch for Anti Freeze.

The worked 304 with smaller bore / worked heads & cammed to the 390 crank
in a Street Grunt lo Octane is a good combo.

If he goes Turbo down the line - it is a better choice than a 360 in
a heavy vehicle - not a Stock 304 - a worked & stroked 304.

Flame travel is shorter in the smaller bore, piston rock is much less
with the smaller bore / 390 stroke.

I do find it interesting your 400HP was reduced by 104HP just to spin
the 727Tf & rear diff. - certainly makes the case for finding a better
less power hungry Trans.

--

    =Bt=
milnersXcoupe