Re: [Amc-list] Disposing of gas, oil, brake fluid and coolant

Re: [Amc-list] Disposing of gas, oil, brake fluid and coolant

" From: Archimedes <Freedom@xxxxxxxx>
"
"
" >[]
"
"
" Actually, normal antifreeze *is* treatable by almost all municipal
" waste systems; and it's also biodegradeable.
"
" http://www.purdue.edu/envirosoft/housewaste/house/antifrze.htm
"
" http://www.cdphe.state.co.us/hm/hhw/howto/antifreeze.htm
"
" Ethylene glycol (and the new-tech, safer alternative propylene gycol)
" is produced from natural gas.  If dumped on the ground and thus
" returned to the environment, it does create a toxic "plume" wherever
" it lands; but once again it is biodegradeable -- within six to eight
" months, nature will have reclaimed its components.

except for heavy metals dissolved in it, if there are any.

i've noticed an apparent retreat from the pink propylene glycol back
towards the green ethylene glycol recently.  while it doesn't affect
environmental biodegradability, us higher forms of life are affected.

there's a company that pushes propylene glycol as a coolant, whose
name escapes me.  i do recall that the founder published a scientific
paper [the real thing] on research showing that 10% propylene glycol
rendered ethylene glycol completely nontoxic.

one dirty little secret of biodiesel is the massive amounts of
glycerine that's produced as a byproduct.  if all current users of #2
diesel / heating oil could switch to biodiesel [not that we could grow
or make that much], the byproduced glycerine would flood existing
markets for it 100x over, and you wouldn't be able to give it away.
research is just starting to find what else it could be used for.
antifreeze maybe?  even that wouldn't make much of a dent.