Re: [Amc-list] Disposing of gas, oil, brake fluid and coolant

Re: [Amc-list] Disposing of gas, oil, brake fluid and coolant

--- Archimedes <Freedom@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
Please don't do that.  Antifreeze in oil -- even a
little bit -- ruins
 the entire batch of oil.

Gasoline is less problematic in oil recycling, but you
still should
 keep them separate.

Well, I happen to know what I'm talking about here.
If the oil is being rerefined (and much of it is here
in CA) the antifreeze cooks off during the
distillation process and becomes part of the aqueous
waste which is sent offsite as cement kiln fuel
(bottoms).  The gasoline distills off as "light ends"
and is sent offsite also as supplemental fuel or the
light ends are burned in the refinery as a fuel
source.

Now having said that, much of the used oil in other
parts of the country is used as cement kiln fuel
without any refining or cleaning step.  A little
antifreeze won't lower the heat content of that fuel
very much.  You should not indesciminantly mix the
antifreeze into the fuel however. That's why
government folks say "Don't mix it all." Gasoline, on
the other hand, has no effect on the use of oil as
cement kiln fuel but it does make the used oil more
dangerous to ship and transport (lowers the flash
point.)

What you DON'T want to mix in used is is chlorinated
solvents like dry cleaning fluid.  Although it is
becoming extinct because of it's toxicity, it's still
out there.  Don't mix any halogenated solvent into
used oil.  That does ruin the whole batch.

I worked as an environmental compliance guy for a used
oil rerefiner here in CA for five years.

Joe Fulton