Re: [Amc-list] 2 bbl intake (LPG Spirit)

On Thu, 7 Feb 2008, Frank Swygert wrote:

> Hey Jim, wouldn't the ceramic heater in the bottom of the
> 83+ intake help a bit on cold starts with LPG?

There's no cold start problems with LPG, down to temperatures
where the liquid in the tank stops producing pressure, -20F
or so.

It's a gas and has no "fuel drop out" issues. One winter trip
took me through Flagstaff, 7000+ foot altitude, it was 9F in
the morning; the car cranked slowly, but fired and idled --
600 rpm, since there's no fast idle or choke or any of that
liquid-fuel nonsense. It was a bit rough but I'm fairly sure
that was due to cold gooey oil and super-cold clearances. Even
EFI cars raise the idle somewhat when cold :-)

(That very morning, pulling out from the motel parking lot,
the heater cable housing snapped when I pulled it -- old cold
plastic! Popped the hood and wrestled the water valve open
by hand.)