Re: [Amc-list] disc brake swap question

" From: adh@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (Sandwich Maker)
"
" " From: <mariclairemccall@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
" "
" " I have my choice between a 77 Gremlin or a 75 Matador for disc brakes for my 71 Javelin. Which would be the better choice to pull from?
"
" they both have caveats.  the '77 have a more modern caliper [used to
" '81 iirc] while the '75 are a more powerful design used on fords up to
" 6900lb pickups, but both use the same big bearing spindle ['75-8] and
" as a result both rotors are getting scarce and pricey.

two additional thoughts frank's posting reminded me of:
1. the '77-8 setup is the same as the '79-'81, so if you could come up
with just the '79-'83 spindles you could switch to the easier-to-get
'79-'83 rotors.  pre-'75 disk spindles might be the same...  bearings
are.  '75-8 disks used sets #17 and #16; all other amcs used #6 and #2.
2. i'm not sure that '77 4 and 6 calipers are any different - rebuild
parts aren't.  the pads are; iirc the 4's are thicker to go with the
solid rotors.  in any event, the calipers were used '77-'81, and you
could upgrade a 4 setup with 6 rotors, pads, and maybe calipers which
you might want to trade for rebuilts anyways.