Re: [Amc-list] Towing Capability - 1960 Classic 6

-- DonMcCPA@xxxxxxx <DonMcCPA@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> Will a  196ci, 3-speed manual with o/d, be practical for towing a 1500#
> trailer  (with trailer brakes of course)?  I'd think not, but I've been
> asked to  ask  the experts.  :-)

I thought only I was crazy enough to try something like that... :-) (I haul
camping gear, trailers etc with my 232ci + air-cooled borg warner auto in a
Classic Wagon... slowly and carefully... trips that take most people 8 hrs
takes me 12 - 14 hrs in that configuration...)

It would be hair-raising at best. The flathead, no chance! THe OHV,
downhill... then the lack of brakes (even with trailer brakes) would kill
you, maybe literally.

There's a 50% chance you could shear teeth off first in that T96 getting
the rig to move. Its very, very weak.

Four people in my 195.6OHV with 2bbl, manual trans, OD, and it does not
like going 70mph. There's simply not enough power...