[Amc-list] tire changers

Joe:

I've enjoyed your postings about progress with the 196 you're working on!  I live in SW Michigan and work in Chicago, and it's just too damn cold here in January to get much done, so I've enjoyed working on my cars vicariously thru you.

RE: tire changers - I have go to a real run-down used tire store literally on the other side of the tracks where the owner, a decrepitly old guy who's half deaf, changes tires for $4 apiece.  He won't dispose of junk tires, but I can take them to our "waste transfer station" (a fancy word for a big dumpster with an attendant) and they charge $2 to take them.  The tire retail stores change $4.

I've bought ALL of my tires lately off of Craigslist.  Since I work in Chicago, there's a huge CL market, and I regularly get complete sets of practically new 205-15s and 215-15s for about $100.

- Justin