Re: [Amc-list] Those pesky brakes again - don't see cutout for pivot poi

Re: [Amc-list] Those pesky brakes again - don't see cutout for pivot point

Bruce,

It sounds like you got the wrong shoes. Wagner type brakes have shoes
like that. Raybestos doesn't list rear shoes for your car but RockAuto
shows that there are two different types of rear shoes. 159PG is for
Wagner type, 114PG is for Bendix type. The numbers I gave are Raybestos
numbers but anyone should be able to cross reference them. If you have
to give them a car, a 1968 American uses them.

Matt

Bruce Griffis wrote:
> Okay, I was happily perusing the replacement brake pads and shoes and noticed that they match up to the ones I have installed, except on the old ones there is a cutout on the ends for the pivot pin. On the new ones there is no cutout, just a flat surface.
>
> Do I need to find someone with a drill press to do the half-circle cutouts where they meet up with the pivot pin? What's the scoop?
>
> The old wheel cylinder on the wheel I'm working on got seriously trashed when the car was pulled. I'm sure the rest are trashed as well.
>
> Anyway - off to get a 3/8" line wrench. My 3/8" open end isn't doing the trick. I also need to get a good wire brush as well, the backing plate has 43 years of built-up muck on it.

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com
1967 Rambler American wagon