Re: [Amc-list] Any tricks in removing the drums?

Re: [Amc-list] Any tricks in removing the drums?

Bruce; when I started to get my 330 wagon ready for
tow I checked the brakes- frozen solid. It had sat
since 1991. I expected that so I came prepared
On the rear brakes I sprayed the whole brakes inside
with WD-40. I didn't care where the spray went, I just
sprayed. I then wedged a tire iron in betwen two lugs
and rocked the wheel back and forth, while rapping on
the brake drum. Make sure the car is solid on stands,
and I mean SOLID,and that the three bolts holding the
drum on the hub are out. After about 15 mins of
rocking, spraying and rapping they broke loose.
Remember, the rust is in mainly between the shoes and
the drum.
One wheel came off easy, the other ended up with the
drum all beat to hell.
On the fronts I disassembled everything I could,
sprayed it good and the drums came off real easy. I
lucked out there.
What I have done in the past if the drums were
stubborn and I wanted to save the brakes is to pry the
drums out far enough to cut the hold-down springs with
a pair of dykes. This released a lot of resistance to
the shoes.
Good luck......Russ