[Amc-list] 195.6 OHV Progress Report

I picked up the cylinder head from the shop today and
it looks good.  Also picked up the cam.  I had asked
them to polish the bearing journals.  I have not
totalled up what I have spent so far on the motor, but
it looks like I may be able to stay within my $1000
budget.  There are other expenditures on the car
though.  I ordered a rebuilt fuel pump and a brake
master cylinder from rockauto.com last night and a
carburator rebuild kit from the Carburetor Shop.

I got a package from Galvins Rambler Parts today and
I'm disappointed.  I had tried to call the business
before Christmas and did not get an answer so I faxed
them an order for a Best brand head gasket and a Best
brand rear main seal.  I had a reference which
indicated that they were a dealer for the Best brand
gaskets.  As I said before I already have a Felpro
gasket overhaul kit but I wanted especially to use the
Best brand rope seal since it is supposed to be more
highly regarded than the Felpro seal. My machinist
also recommended the Best brand rope seal over the
Felpro seal.

Galvins sent me a Felpro head gasket and the rope seal
appears to be slightly different than the seal in my
Felpro gasket kit but there is no brand name on the
package.  I called them and am awaiting a return call.
 I'm seeking a confirmation that the rope seal they
sent is actually a Best brand seal.  Otherwise, I'll
send it back.  I'm also disappointed because the Best
seal kit I had seen pictured included a rope seal
installation tool.  There was no such tool in my
package.

Joe Fulton