[Amc-list] Charity AMX Project

Below is the latest update for the Charity AMX Project. As some of you
know, it's been stalled for a couple years now. This is mainly due to
the body needing much more work than originally thought. Zion Autobody
in Zion, IL, kept it for over a year, but they managed to hang the new
quarter panel, repair some unseen body damage behind the panel (rocker
on that side was pushed in about 1/8"), and get the first coat of filler
on the car -- including a skim coat over the entire roof to smooth it
out. We had hoped it would be ready for paint, but that's not the case.
It still needs a little filler and lots of blocking and sanding to get
it right. Anyone who's done body work knows this is a very time
consuming stage if you want it done right! It may have been okay as it
was, would have been typical production type repair work at best. We
want better for this car! Better takes time, especially when asking
people who own professional shops to do the work for free!  So it's
taking a lot of time, but getting done!

I unintentionally sat on the update a while -- three months!! Time flies
when you're busy. I have a house I'm in the middle of remodeling and was
in a stage that took a lot of time. I've slowed down for the winter,
won't get real busy again until spring.  So I'm catching up! Should have
another update in a couple weeks.

-----------------------
Charity AMX Update: 09 October 2007

 From John Widiker:

Thanks for the mail Frank, I've been meaning to do an update for weeks
and not gotten to it.

I'm donating my dash overlay to replace the Javelin one that's on the
car once we get to the inside.

I've got the Charity AMX going next door for body in next few weeks, it
was supposed to happen earlier this summer but the guys next door have
been positively slammed with work. They have finally gotten me a spot on
their floor, once it's there it shouldn't take long as space for them is
at a premium. I do think we chatted about the fact that most of what's
been done on the body other then hanging the quarter is being redone.
It's a good start, but nowhere near ready for paint, and panel alignment
could be better.  The paint and materials are in hand and were donated
by our local paint supply.

I have NOT had any luck with Legendary getting seat covers or other
parts. The guy who drives to the shows for them would love to help but
the people who can actually say yes don't even call back. My interior
guy will recover them as soon as we can get the covers, the seats are on
top of my office right now just waiting.

The only glaring missing items are the turn signal lenses from the grill
now.  I'm sure there is other stuff but over all I think we got most of
from the box we received from the previous shop.

I've just gotten signatures for three major long term projects in my
shop, all summer we busted our humps on day long thrashes and didn't
have much "spare" time. Now we are looking a little bit more comfortable
and able to devote more to the car.

I'll have additional updates shortly (hold me to that promise) and I'm
dying to see this car not looking like it did when it arrived.

John Widiker
Current On-Site Coordinator

The official website for the Charity AMX is:
http://www.mattsoldcars.com/charityamx/index.html

Frank Swygert -- farna@xxxxxxx
Phone 803-904-6548
Overall Project Coordinator & Donation Manager
Please direct all inquiries to the Overall Project Coordinator.
(I volunteered to get this project going and take all the flack, I don't
want those volunteering their time and energy to be bothered.)

--
Frank Swygert
Publisher, "American Motors Cars"