Re: [Amc-list] AMO or AMCRC? or Local?

  The best thing for an AMC or Rambler fan to do is to join all three
international AMC/Rambler clubs as I have: AMO, AMCRC & NAMDRA. That way
you have a good mix of info and a larger group of fans to get help from.

BTW, NAMDRA does not do concours judging at their meets, we just go by
looks.

On Sun, 30 Dec 2007 13:06:04 -0500 Frank Swygert <farna@xxxxxxx> writes:
> Start watching e-bay for a 65 American TSM (Technical Service Manual
> -- what AMC calls their factory manual used by dealers). It won't
> give you the basics, like packing wheel bearings, but will give you
> all the specific details about your car. I wouldn't start a
> restoration project without one!
>
> For the more basic things look for a text book such as used in high
> school or tech school automotive programs. You might find something
> like that on e-bay. Or for a basic auto repair book. Neither will
> have anything specific to Ramblers, but will tell you all the
> basic/general stuff you do to nearly every car.
>

> The big difference between AMO and AMCRC is the shows. AMO uses a
> concours judging system where you get points for different areas of
> the car, and there are three levels so you don't have beginners
> competing with old timers. A new member starts at the lowest level,
> but once you win a trophy for that level you have to move up to the
> next one for the next show. Once a car wins the top prize in the top
> level it has to sit out of competition for a number of years. Keeps
> everything fair. There are different classes for years/model/type of
> car.
>
> AMCRC is more about driving and preserving the cars. they have
> shows, but judging in each class is by popular vote. Everyone who
> registers a car gets to vote on all the other cars in all classes.
> Top votes win.
>
> Both clubs have good publications and give technical advice. The
> AMCRC "Rambler Reader" is more "friendly" with a few purpose written
> articles and more letters from readers, whereas the AMO "American
> Motoring" is more magazine like. AMCRC has a bit better support for
> the older cars -- they only support 58-69 Ramblers. If you're more
> performance oriented or prefer newer than 69 AMCs AMO is a better
> choice.
>
> But let's not forget NAMDRA! Like AMO, NAMDRA also supports all
> years. I'm not sure of their judging system, but I'm sure Jock will
> chime in. They also have a good publication and technical support.
> NAMDRA is more performance oriented than the others, and usually has
> drag races scheduled with or near their shows.
>
> You can get tech support from on-line AMC forums like the list here.
> But you get other things from clubs, mainly regular meets, but more
> also. There's nothing like knowing who in your area can help with
> advice, parts, and physical help! I'd start with a local club (or
> the nearest) and see who they are affiliated with. Then I'd join and
> consider joining the national club they are affiliated with as well.
> I myself belong to AMO and AMCRC, and a local all makes club. Even
> the all makes types will help you out on the basic stuff, and they
> sometimes spot old Ramblers and let you know. They will certainly
> know what machine shops and salvage yards to go to or avoid in the
> area.

> [...]

Jock Jocewicz - President/Editor NAMDRA  NAMDRA@xxxxxxxx or
namdra1@xxxxxxx
8537 Antioch Rd., Salem, WI 563168  (262) 843-4326
  JOIN NAMDRA - the best AMC club around!!  http://www.AMCDragRacing.com.

30th. Annual AMC NATIONALS coming in 2008!!!
AMO#19, NAMDRA#46, AMCRC#974, NHRA#41915, IHRA#6766