Re: [Amc-list] Have you seen this website?

Re: [Amc-list] Have you seen this website?

The grille that's on the rusty 69 Javelin I dug out of the farm field for
300 bucks has less damage than some of those.  Restoring an AMC to that
obsessive level doesn't make a lot of sense unless you're possessed of
excess fundage you must dispose of.

At the top level, it's definitely cheaper to buy a preserved original, or
an already restored car, for most models.  What would it cost to restore a
solid humpster if everything goes at those prices? 200K? It would be
cheaper to actually remanufacture a lot of these parts yourself.

You can send emblems and other potmetal to restoration houses for less
than these prices, and with indiscernible results. Fiberglass and other
plastic resins can be molded for small things like housings etc.  I know
of a '57 Rambler Super in my neighborhood, with owner-molded front signal
lenses on it.  If you buy the car, he'll throw in the molds. He did that
because he couldn't find lenses under 50.00 each. My dad made a small sand
mold to reproduce a broken Ford "V8" emblem for his hot rod when I was a
kid. Now THAT's Rambler Mentality...
mike

-----------> Not only is this stuff he's got rare and very valuable
(according to him)