Re: [Amc-list] nearing the moment of truth....

Re: [Amc-list] nearing the moment of truth....

Troy,

Starting fluid is not a good idea. You should be able to fill the float
bowl through the bowl vent. It's also a good idea to run the oil pump
with a drill before starting to make sure the engine has oil pressure
and everything is nice and wet. I also like to put a little oil in each
cylinder and turn the engine over by hand a few times before starting.
One last thing: instead of filling it with coolant, fill it with
distilled water. That way, if you have a problem, you aren't wasting
coolant and it also cuts down on the mess. Once you're verified
everything is okay, you can drain the water and put the proper coolant
mix in.

Matt

mariclairemccall@xxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> After 7 years my Javelin has new paint, and the motor is completly rebuilt and in the car (finally). Today I filled up the oil, tranny, coolant, and power steering pump. I have to install my new guages and I can crank it up. Unfortunatley I discovered too late I have to install the new coolant sensor in the plug on the lower portion of the driver side of the block, so now I get to drain the coolant back out.....
>
> A couple buddies of mine are going to come over next weekend for the start up. Do you guys pour  gas into the carb, or spray in starting fluid? I've heard of doing it both ways. I am terrified that I did something wrong and I will have to tear it back apart!
>
> Either way my AMC has a nice new home. New garage door, and I am in the process of reroofing the garage. Soon no more mice to eat my wiring (that was fun to fix), and insulation so I can work comfortably. If all goes well I am going to try to save another AMC this coming year. I am hoping for a 74 Javelin, but we will see.
>
> Hope you guys had a good Christmas. I got car parts, good woman my wife!
> Troy

mhaas@xxxxxxx
Cincinnati, OH
http://www.mattsoldcars.com